Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail
Washington Heritage Trail Visitor Services History Calendar of Events Other Self-Guided Tours Links & Resources
Washington Heritage Trail
Jefferson County, WV
About Jefferson County
Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
Jefferson Rock
Shenandoah Canal
Entler Hotel
Rumsey Monument and Tobacco Warehouse
Morgan's Grove Park
Peter Burr House
Charles Town
Jefferson County Courthouse and Museum
Zion Episcopal Church
Happy Retreat
St. George's Chapel Ruins
Cedar Lawn
Claymont Court/Blakeley
Middleway Historic District
Berkeley County, WV
About Berkeley County
B&O Roundhouse & Station Complex
Belle Boyd House
Berkeley County Courthouse
Triple Brick Museum
General Adam Stephen House
Green Hill Cemetery
Van Metre Ford Bridge
Bunker Hill Mill
Morgan Chapel
Morgan Cabin
Gerrardstown Historic District
Hays Gerrard House
Mill's Gap
Sleep Creek Wildlife Management Area
Hedgesville Historic District
Mt. Zion Episcopal Church
Snodgrass Tavern
Morgan County, WV
About Morgan County
Spruce Pine Hollow Park
Berkeley Springs
Dutch Cemetery
Throgmorton's Inn
Bath Historic District
Berkeley Springs State Park
George Washington's Bathtub
Roman Bath House & Museum of the Berkeley Springs
Washington's Lots
Sir John's Run
Panorama Overlook
Great Cacapon
Camp Hill Cemetery
Paw Paw
Paw Paw Tunnel
Coolfont Manor House
Cacapon State Park

Washington Heritage Trail



By the mid-19th century, there were 10 mills operating along Mill Creek, heart of the historic district of the same name. The present stone building that houses Bunker Hill Mill dates from 1800 and was in operation until 1963. The only mill in West Virginia with dual water wheels, it houses a collection of 19th and 20th century milling equipment. The mill gate that lets water into the mill pond, the mill race and the pond itself are visible from the county road as it curves around the mill. The original mill building at this site dated back to 1738 when it was owned by Thomas Anderson.

Just to the west of the mill is the historic village of Bunker Hill where early county settlers, including Morgan Morgan, established a church in 1740; twelve years later there was a tavern. General Elisha Boyd eventually purchased the 2000-acre plantation and built a grist mill, cooper shop and store.

Many Civil War skirmishes took place in Bunker Hill and in the 1890s, former slaves established “Black Row” here. Three of Bunker Hill’s original church buildings, damaged during the Civil War, still stand.

Location: WV26 – 0.8 miles east of US11
Hours of Operation
By appointment only

Copyright © 2010, Washington Heritage Trail, Inc. Funded in part by the Federal Highway Administration.