Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail
Washington Heritage Trail Visitor Services History Calendar of Events Other Self-Guided Tours Links & Resources
Washington Heritage Trail
Jefferson County, WV
About Jefferson County
Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
Jefferson Rock
Shenandoah Canal
Entler Hotel
Rumsey Monument and Tobacco Warehouse
Morgan's Grove Park
Peter Burr House
Charles Town
Jefferson County Courthouse and Museum
Zion Episcopal Church
Happy Retreat
St. George's Chapel Ruins
Cedar Lawn
Claymont Court/Blakeley
Middleway Historic District
Berkeley County, WV
About Berkeley County
B&O Roundhouse & Station Complex
Belle Boyd House
Berkeley County Courthouse
Triple Brick Museum
General Adam Stephen House
Green Hill Cemetery
Van Metre Ford Bridge
Bunker Hill Mill
Morgan Chapel
Morgan Cabin
Gerrardstown Historic District
Hays Gerrard House
Mill's Gap
Sleep Creek Wildlife Management Area
Hedgesville Historic District
Mt. Zion Episcopal Church
Snodgrass Tavern
Morgan County, WV
About Morgan County
Spruce Pine Hollow Park
Berkeley Springs
Dutch Cemetery
Throgmorton's Inn
Bath Historic District
Berkeley Springs State Park
George Washington's Bathtub
Roman Bath House & Museum of the Berkeley Springs
Washington's Lots
Sir John's Run
Panorama Overlook
Great Cacapon
Camp Hill Cemetery
Paw Paw
Paw Paw Tunnel
Coolfont Manor House
Cacapon State Park

Washington Heritage Trail




Sir John’s Run Road is at the top of Warm Springs Ridge. It tracks the stream of the same name to the Potomac River where the stream empties. Steamboat inventor, James Rumsey, and his brother-in-law, Joseph Barnes owned a mill on Sir John’s. In May 1785, Rumsey hired Barnes to build a boat near Sir John’s Run which they tested where the stream enters the Potomac. In 1939, a group of local Rumsey enthusiasts commemorated this historic event by dedicating the area as Port James Rumsey.

Historians report that the ill-fated expedition of General Edward Braddock’s army in 1755 during the French and Indian War camped along the stream and that it was subsequently named for Sir John St. Clair, the deputy quartermaster.

For nearly 40 years in the 19th century, passengers coming by train to the springs disembarked at the riverside Sir John’s Run station and came overland by stage to the town.


Copyright © 2010, Washington Heritage Trail, Inc. Funded in part by the Federal Highway Administration.