Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail
Washington Heritage Trail Visitor Services History Calendar of Events Other Self-Guided Tours Links & Resources
Washington Heritage Trail
Jefferson County, WV
About Jefferson County
Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
Jefferson Rock
Shenandoah Canal
Entler Hotel
Rumsey Monument and Tobacco Warehouse
Morgan's Grove Park
Peter Burr House
Charles Town
Jefferson County Courthouse and Museum
Zion Episcopal Church
Happy Retreat
St. George's Chapel Ruins
Cedar Lawn
Claymont Court/Blakeley
Middleway Historic District
Berkeley County, WV
About Berkeley County
B&O Roundhouse & Station Complex
Belle Boyd House
Berkeley County Courthouse
Triple Brick Museum
General Adam Stephen House
Green Hill Cemetery
Van Metre Ford Bridge
Bunker Hill Mill
Morgan Chapel
Morgan Cabin
Gerrardstown Historic District
Hays Gerrard House
Mill's Gap
Sleep Creek Wildlife Management Area
Hedgesville Historic District
Mt. Zion Episcopal Church
Snodgrass Tavern
Morgan County, WV
About Morgan County
Spruce Pine Hollow Park
Berkeley Springs
Dutch Cemetery
Throgmorton's Inn
Bath Historic District
Berkeley Springs State Park
George Washington's Bathtub
Roman Bath House & Museum of the Berkeley Springs
Washington's Lots
Sir John's Run
Panorama Overlook
Great Cacapon
Camp Hill Cemetery
Paw Paw
Paw Paw Tunnel
Coolfont Manor House
Cacapon State Park

Washington Heritage Trail



Claymont Court, built by Bushrod Corbin Washington grand-nephew of George Washington, was the largest home of its time in the area. Built of brick, stone and stucco, it even includes a ballroom, something none of the other homes had. In 1838 the entire interior was destroyed by fire. Bushrod promptly rebuilt the interior and lived there until his death in 1851. His son, Thomas, inherited Claymont. He survived his father by only three years leaving his sister, Hannah Lee Washington Alexander, in charge.

In 1864, Thomas’s son James and Hannah’s son Herbert, members of Confederate raider Mosby’s cavalry, were captured by Federal troops while home on furlough. Neither survived the rigors of Northern prison life. Having had enough of ruin and Reconstruction, Bushrod Corbin Washington II, eldest brother of James, sold Claymont Court in 1871 and eventually moved to Washington State.
Over the years Claymont has had many owners including author Frank Stockton, Col. S. J. Murphy, whose daughter established the gardens, and industrialist R. J. Funkhouser. The current owner is the Claymont Society for Continuing Education. Retreats, seminars and conferences are held at Claymont which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Huyett Road – 1.5 miles from US340
For More Information: www.claymont.org


Blakeley and Claymont Court face each other across the lush valley of the Bullskin’s North Fork with Huyett Road crossing between them. Blakeley was built by John Augustine Washington II, Bushrod’s brother. Blakeley is not as grand as Claymont Court. It is said that this was because John A. knew that he would inherit Mount Vernon. In 1829 Mount Vernon did become his and Blakeley was used as a summer home. John Augustine II had two sons, John Augustine III and Richard Blackburn. Richard inherited Blakeley and lived there with his family through the calamitous Civil War.

In 1864 Blakeley burned. Richard succeeded in rebuilding the house and lived there with his large family until 1875. After the war was lost and unable to recover from financial troubles, Richard sold Blakeley at auction. The purchaser was his niece Louisa Fontaine Washington Chew whose husband was Col. R. Preston Chew, famed commander of Confederate artillery unit “Chew’s Battery.”

In the 1940s R. J. Funkhouser bought Blakeley. He restored the house and added the front with its Doric columns. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Blakeley is privately owned at present.

Huyett Road – 1.5 miles from US340

Copyright © 2010, Washington Heritage Trail, Inc. Funded in part by the Federal Highway Administration.