Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail
Washington Heritage Trail Visitor Services History Calendar of Events Other Self-Guided Tours Links & Resources
Washington Heritage Trail
Jefferson County, WV
About Jefferson County
Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
Jefferson Rock
Shenandoah Canal
Entler Hotel
Rumsey Monument and Tobacco Warehouse
Morgan's Grove Park
Peter Burr House
Charles Town
Jefferson County Courthouse and Museum
Zion Episcopal Church
Happy Retreat
St. George's Chapel Ruins
Cedar Lawn
Claymont Court/Blakeley
Middleway Historic District
Berkeley County, WV
About Berkeley County
B&O Roundhouse & Station Complex
Belle Boyd House
Berkeley County Courthouse
Triple Brick Museum
General Adam Stephen House
Green Hill Cemetery
Van Metre Ford Bridge
Bunker Hill Mill
Morgan Chapel
Morgan Cabin
Gerrardstown Historic District
Hays Gerrard House
Mill's Gap
Sleep Creek Wildlife Management Area
Hedgesville Historic District
Mt. Zion Episcopal Church
Snodgrass Tavern
Morgan County, WV
About Morgan County
Spruce Pine Hollow Park
Berkeley Springs
Dutch Cemetery
Throgmorton's Inn
Bath Historic District
Berkeley Springs State Park
George Washington's Bathtub
Roman Bath House & Museum of the Berkeley Springs
Washington's Lots
Sir John's Run
Panorama Overlook
Great Cacapon
Camp Hill Cemetery
Paw Paw
Paw Paw Tunnel
Coolfont Manor House
Cacapon State Park

Washington Heritage Trail



Located at the southern edge of Charles Town, Happy Retreat is the home of Charles Washington, younger brother of George Washington and founder of the City of Charles Town. Happy Retreat was built on land Charles inherited from his older half-brother, Lawrence Washington. In 1780 Charles and his wife Mildred moved from Fredericksburg to Happy Retreat where he had built the two wings separated by a breezeway. It was not until after 1837 when Judge Isaac Douglas bought Happy Retreat that the main center section was built. Judge Douglas also changed the name of the estate to Mordington after his ancestral home in Scotland.

Two additional buildings on the property of historical significance include a stone kitchen and smokehouse which predates the residence and an octagonal wooden powder house, similar to one at Mount Vernon, that was later used as a school house.

The graves of Charles and his wife Mildred have been located on the other side of Evitts Run which flows along the back boundary of the property.

This is currently a private home, but the grounds are open to the public. Friends of Happy Retreat, a non-profit organization, has an option to purchase the land.

Blakeley Place and Mordington Avenue, Charles Town

For More Information: www.HappyRetreat.org

Copyright © 2010, Washington Heritage Trail, Inc. Funded in part by the Federal Highway Administration.