Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail
Washington Heritage Trail Visitor Services History Calendar of Events Other Self-Guided Tours Links & Resources
Washington Heritage Trail
Jefferson County, WV
About Jefferson County
Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
Jefferson Rock
Shenandoah Canal
Entler Hotel
Rumsey Monument and Tobacco Warehouse
Morgan's Grove Park
Peter Burr House
Charles Town
Jefferson County Courthouse and Museum
Zion Episcopal Church
Happy Retreat
St. George's Chapel Ruins
Cedar Lawn
Claymont Court/Blakeley
Middleway Historic District
Berkeley County, WV
About Berkeley County
B&O Roundhouse & Station Complex
Belle Boyd House
Berkeley County Courthouse
Triple Brick Museum
General Adam Stephen House
Green Hill Cemetery
Van Metre Ford Bridge
Bunker Hill Mill
Morgan Chapel
Morgan Cabin
Gerrardstown Historic District
Hays Gerrard House
Mill's Gap
Sleep Creek Wildlife Management Area
Hedgesville Historic District
Mt. Zion Episcopal Church
Snodgrass Tavern
Morgan County, WV
About Morgan County
Spruce Pine Hollow Park
Berkeley Springs
Dutch Cemetery
Throgmorton's Inn
Bath Historic District
Berkeley Springs State Park
George Washington's Bathtub
Roman Bath House & Museum of the Berkeley Springs
Washington's Lots
Sir John's Run
Panorama Overlook
Great Cacapon
Camp Hill Cemetery
Paw Paw
Paw Paw Tunnel
Coolfont Manor House
Cacapon State Park

Washington Heritage Trail



Cedar Lawn was built in 1825 by John Thornton Augustine Washington, grandson of Samuel Washington. The brick house is located on land that was once part of Samuel’s original plantation. The original house on the property was built of log and plank by John’s father, Thornton Washington, Samuel’s oldest son. It was named Berry Hill in honor of Thornton’s wife, Mildred Berry, whose childhood home on the Rappahanock River was called Berry Plain.

John Thornton Augustine Washington and his wife, Elizabeth Conrad Bedinger, had thirteen children, three of whom are buried beside their parents at Harewood. Their son, Benjamin Franklin Washington, was intrigued by the news of gold discovered near San Francisco. In June 1849 he organized 80 young “Forty-niners” who left the area for the Gold Rush. B. F. Washington became the first editor of the San Francisco Examiner.

In the 1940s Cedar Lawn was bought by industrialist R. J. Funkhouser who owned several Washington homes. It is still owned by Funkhouser heirs and is a private residence. Cedar Lawn is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Location: Earl Road - 3 miles west of Charles Town, off WV51

Copyright © 2010, Washington Heritage Trail, Inc. Funded in part by the Federal Highway Administration.