Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail Washington Heritage Trail
Washington Heritage Trail Visitor Services History Calendar of Events Other Self-Guided Tours Links & Resources
Washington Heritage Trail
Jefferson County, WV
About Jefferson County
Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park
Jefferson Rock
Shenandoah Canal
Entler Hotel
Rumsey Monument and Tobacco Warehouse
Morgan's Grove Park
Peter Burr House
Charles Town
Jefferson County Courthouse and Museum
Zion Episcopal Church
Happy Retreat
St. George's Chapel Ruins
Cedar Lawn
Claymont Court/Blakeley
Middleway Historic District
Berkeley County, WV
About Berkeley County
B&O Roundhouse & Station Complex
Belle Boyd House
Berkeley County Courthouse
Triple Brick Museum
General Adam Stephen House
Green Hill Cemetery
Van Metre Ford Bridge
Bunker Hill Mill
Morgan Chapel
Morgan Cabin
Gerrardstown Historic District
Hays Gerrard House
Mill's Gap
Sleep Creek Wildlife Management Area
Hedgesville Historic District
Mt. Zion Episcopal Church
Snodgrass Tavern
Morgan County, WV
About Morgan County
Spruce Pine Hollow Park
Berkeley Springs
Dutch Cemetery
Throgmorton's Inn
Bath Historic District
Berkeley Springs State Park
George Washington's Bathtub
Roman Bath House & Museum of the Berkeley Springs
Washington's Lots
Sir John's Run
Panorama Overlook
Great Cacapon
Camp Hill Cemetery
Paw Paw
Paw Paw Tunnel
Coolfont Manor House
Cacapon State Park

Washington Heritage Trail


St. George's Chapel Ruins


St. George’s Chapel also known as Norborne Parish Church, was named for the popular Royal Governor of Virginia, Norborne Berkeley, Lord Botetourt. Norborne Parish was organized in February 1771 after the act dividing Frederick Parish was passed the previous year. The new parish included all the land in present-day Berkeley and Jefferson counties as well as two-thirds of Morgan. The same lines were used in 1772 when Berkeley County was carved from Frederick County, Virginia.

The stone church, known as St. George’s Chapel, was built on land donated by Robert Worthington, Jr. James Nourse, a merchant from London, contributed to the building and furnishing of the elegant Norborne Church. George Washington’s brother Samuel, master of Harewood, served as senior warden.

After the establishment of Charles Town, a new church was built there and Norborne Church was abandoned. Time and vandalism ravaged the building. A communion table now located at Zion Episcopal Church in Charles Town is all that remains of the carved furnishings. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the ruins are currently under the care of the Henry Davenport Family. The site is open to the public.

Location: WV51 – one mile west of Charles Town

Copyright © 2010, Washington Heritage Trail, Inc. Funded in part by the Federal Highway Administration.